I had written about this here when I purchased last time a SSL certificate from godaddy and did not renew it. With the expired certificate, client does not connect to the production server. Hence, I have to look into and purchase a new certificate today.
I found namecheap.com to provide competitive pricing. I could get 1 year certificate for USD 9. Without further analysis, I went ahead and purchased it from them. Few notes below:
- I used paypal account to pay instead of directing giving them my credit card details.
- Activating the SSL certificate is a separate process than purchasing it. It has to be done after purchase is completed.
- I had purchased COMODO positivessl domain certificate
- paypal let me pay in INR currency on visa card. It cost INR 570.
Steps for activation of the SSL certificate on namecheap.com
- menu->manage SSL certificates
- click activate link on the dashboard
- prior to (3) – I have to have CSR (certificate signing request) ready. Refer below for my steps with bluehost. You may have to use your webhost or own server like IIS admin to get a CSR which in turn requires a private key generation.
- paste the CSR text into the wizard
- select the approver email id. I had created an email email@example.com and selected that option.
- It gave some error saying — server details could not be verified for the approver email. do you want to continue? — I opted to continue.
- submit on next page
- After submit – the SSL certificate process kicks off and status on the namecheap.com dashboard keeps getting updated. be patient.
- on approver email id – u receive an email and need to click the link for verification.
- after few minutes – u receive on your registered email (with namecheap.com) – your SSL as a .zip attachment.
Steps for generating CSR on bluehost
- on control panel, search cert – you will find security-> SSL/TLS manager
- follow generate key link.
- I used 2048 bit and a friendly name – to identify the key later. generate the key.
- follow generate CSR link using the key generated earlier. fill all the fields in the form; they are self explanatory.
- finally – it gives CSR as encoded text.