A while back ( 6 weeks), I had purchased dual sim nokia lumia 730. I had got introduced to micro/nano sim terminology with the phone since the phone had micro-sim slots. Micro/nano are smaller and more-small sim form factors of sim and latest mobile phones sim have these kind of sim slots; old (big) size sim does not fit in these slots. I have to exchange my old (normal size) sim to get a Micro sim from the Vodafone store. This is short summary about micro/nano sims. google can give more technical details about these terms.
At Vodafone store, I asked the most compatible sim and the executive offered me nano sim with micro & normal sim adapters. Adapters are essentially containers where the smaller size sim can be inserted.
Recently I purchased a second connection & it came with a nano sim. I did not pay much attention to realize that it is nano sim!!! and tried to put in micro sim slot 2 of my nokia lumia 730. It slid inside & I realized soon that it is not the correct size sim. but there was no way to get the sim out. I took the phone to Nokia care. Unfortunately – Nokia care concluded that 2nd sim slot is not accessible even after opening the phone; slot is irreversibly blocked; send phone to factory to get the sim slot replaced; it won’t be covered by warranty; it will cost me ~INR 5k! Needless to say – I did not feel good. I planed to active 2nd sim and here I was – with 2nd slot permanently blocked & no solution to fix it.
At the end of the day, I tried my luck on google. I found few recipes like using tweezers, cutting the sim slot, pressing the pins using a thin thing and shaking the phone to get the sim out. Nothing worked. I had almost given up & was thinking of raising my 1year accidental insurance claim as last resort. At this time, I found this intelligent solution. Before you read further – watch the video.
The solution worked and helped get the stuck nano sim in micro sim slot out. Here are my observations from the experience:
- Cut the card strip from the middle of the card – to avoid rounded corners.
- Cut the card strip that fits the width of the sim card – to have max contact area with the sim.
- Insert the card strip and feel the touch with the sim. Gentle push will give the feel of the spring action – before applying faviquik.
- Apply faviquik just enough – to avoid spilling on the pins in the slot.
- Keep the phone such that gravity acts against the faviquik spilling on pins.
- Time to keep the strip in slot for 5 minutes. Blow little air from mouth. Give time; be patient.
Faviquik manufacturers wouldn’t have thought how it can help in such circumstances! Its a great tool. Kudos to Saurabh for the awesome trick that likely saved 10s of phones / sim slots from becoming unusable!!