Recently I need to travel to Yavatmal from Hyderabad. We were a group of extended family including children & senior citizen grand parent.
We were exploring multiple travel options. We found the following
- Self drive – Google showed 7.5 hrs travel to Yavatmal by road.
- Sleeper bus – Starts at around 9pm and reaches by 7am.
- Train – There is a train station – Sevagram that is at around 75 kms. SC-ngr express (12771) trains mon-wed-fri in night 10 pm and takes around 9 hours. There are more trains but this train was available for our day of travel.
After deliberation, we felt the train to be better option primarily because of the following reason
- Senior citizen, children may need personal break anytime during the night.
- Personal break does require climb down/up in bus whereas in train it is comfortable. In fact, during travel my son went on his own for the breaks (in train). I did not have to accompany him.
- Movement during travel is much easier in the train.
- Travel air sickness during train travel is comparatively less during train travel.
- Car travel will have fatigue penalty to pay for the people driving the car and senior citizens.
Having done the trip, I do see train travel was comfortable for the family. It does require booking in advance. Return journey we did not get reservation for everyone & was not as comfortable as onward journey. Further it does cost extra for the car travel between Sevagram & yavatmal.